14 September 2009

The Mythical Tree



I wonder if any Dusuns still try to relate the 2009 outbreak of H1N1 to the mythical Dusun tree. The myth has it that there exists a tree that is very much a normal tree (location unknown, perhaps there is one in every Dusun locality), that serves a very special purpose to the Dusun people. It is said that prior to an epidemic, the tree would bear various fruits known to the Dusuns. I can easily picture a tree bearing rambutans, jackfuits, durians, lansats, cucumbers, gourds, taraps etc, which must look awesome.



Only the meaning is not at all awesome. It is a warning that the worst is lurking around the corner, and that everyone should be vigilant, failing which, might cost their lives.

I admire the steadfastness of the belief of the person who related the story to me. She was one true believer. Although she has never witnessed it herself, she kept stressing 'haro moti kaka kopio' (hearsay, there is indeed). It is a hearsay, the word 'kaka' alone evidences this (kaka= hearsay), but I suppose faith is in the heart of the believer.

And I'm still wondering how did the concept of fruits come to be linked to epidemics? Could it be because during every fruit season there will be a flu outbreak among the Dusuns? Coincidence, or is there a scientific explanation to this, I wonder?

4 comments:

smallkucing said...

love your blog :)

Verone said...

thanks :-)

azamain said...

The myth factor: I actually checked my humble medicine handbook and what I found was quite interesting. It seems that there will be hallucinative phase one has to go thru' when in sickness and the nature side of the Dusuns of which they relied mostly on plants,herbs and all things natural as a source of medication almost explained what the hearsay is all about but not to the extent of it being believed. Interesting.

...And you described what I thought about the 'fruit cocktail......=))

Verone said...

wow, you actually have a handy medicine book to check things up! Very interesting...I wonder what...say people who live near the sea have in this regard!