27 August 2009

Happy Ramadan- a Dusun's (that's me) fond memory


This morning my daughter excitedly told me that two people in her class are fasting because it is Ramadhan. "And at the end of the fasting month, one of them is going to receive $500 from their parents!" Her excited remarks brought me smile and fond Ramadhan memories. My daughter doesn't understand yet the concept of fasting, but I'm so glad to know that all her teachers are concerned enough to educate themselves and their students about it. I tried to explain that Ramadhan is somewhat like our Lent, the month that Christians have to fast. Accusingly she said to me "but you never made us fast!". Oops, caught me there...anyway, I told her that come next Lent, I'll make her fast. (Now I have to remember that).

Anyway, being Dusun, one of the most enriching experiences is to have family members of various religions. One gets to understand about each other's religions and to be tolerant. I have to say that Dusun muslims have a very high level of tolerance (this is again, a generalization, but I believe it is true). Even though they can't consume alcohol, for example, they don't mind other people consuming it in front of them. That is just one of the long list of examples I can think of...

I'm glad to say that because of this background, I can happily admit having a very high level of religious tolerance too. When I was in the boarding school, I used to fast with my Muslim friends (even though being the lazy person that I am, I have never been able to wake up at dawn to have the morning meal!). It was really one of the best moments of my life. And being away from home now, guess what I miss most of all at the end of Ramadhan? Yup, the 'solat takbir', the melodious prayer they recite on the early morning of Raya (Eid-al-mubarak). This is me, a Dusun girl of rich heritage and tradition and proud to be so. I hope I will be able to raise my children to appreciate the same thing...

4 comments:

azamain said...

You'd better make sure you put the Lent 'pledge' on your reminder.

Anyway,that's what the Dusuns are made off..-)

Verone said...

haha...I really should. Just hoping she doesn't do it with the hope of getting a 500 at the end!

Rem said...

"I have to say that Dusun muslims have a very high level of tolerance (this is again, a generalization, but I believe it is true)."

Veron, ya.. bukan saja satu simplistic generalization. I also believe that it is, indeed, very true. In fact, many of our Malaya friends also acknowledge this.

Verone said...

Rem, then I'm not alone in thinking that :-) Good on our society...